Wednesday, January 11, 2012

With friends and family like this...

On Tuesday, I felt that I had recovered enough to receive my public once again and was prepared for visitors.  Well, yes and no on that point.

Yes, I felt well and was mentally prepared but no in that I was not expecting how much my face would hurt from laughing so hard! Ouch.

But let me back it up a bit.  My family and members from the church had visited on Saturday and Sunday.  My mom, fearing I would fall down the steps or pass out from the 10 foot walk from my couch to the bathroom called my grandmother to come over to sit with me. I guess even at age 33, she still needs to arrange day care for me.  My mom-mom came over and brought my godson and his sister.  The kids really didn't want to come in and look at me, because the drain was in.  So they made themselves scarce and hijacked some poor kids bikes and skateboards and played outside.  Mom-Mom and I sat quietly watching television, talking about random things, the weather, the price of gas, her arthritis, who had recently died in the community.  You know, things crucial to my recovery.
My grandmother had to get going before dark because she doesn't see well.  So she had to get up off the couch. 
Now the thing about my couches, well the one, is that while they are comfy, they slowly, suck you in.  One is broke and even I have had to roll in the floor and stand up because there is no way you're standing right up. Maybe I should give Joe Rogan a call and they can use this as one of the challenges on the reboot of Fear Factor. Anyway. So I am watching helplessly as my grandmother pretty much has to lay in the floor and then stand up, using her cane.  It really wasn't funny as me admiring her tenacity in trying to do this herself rather than asking for help.  Hmmm, doesn't sound like anyone I know, right??

On Sunday a church member came by, dropped off some sustenance (applesauce and pudding, SCORE!!) and was on her way.  She had to go because we were about to get laughing and I knew my face was not going to fare well after that.  What can I say, we cut up!
My pastor and the first lady came back shortly thereafter. She cooed over me and made sure I was alright, asking questions, you know, the normal questions you'd pose to the sick and shut in.  Now my pastor...he sat far away and appeared like he didn't want to look at me.  I think it was Dwayne.  I know it was Dwayne.

 Dwayne is like that boyfriend that your friend FINALLY gets and even though he's not the greatest, she is so happy that you don't want to tell her what you actually think of him because he is really the grossest, dumbest, inappropriate etc. person in the world.  You get my drift.

That or he was trying to remember where he had placed his exorcism pamphlet because he was expecting my head to start spinning.


He said that he thought I looked like I was in a lot of pain. I wasn't.  Another reason why Dwayne had to go.

On Saturday or Sunday night, or wait, what day was it, well on another day, my cousin and her kids (my godson and his sister) came over because again I am an invalid and should be watched 24/7 came over for a few hours, wait it was Sunday night because we watched the game, okay I'm back. My mom had to go home for a bit and the shift in wardens began. Again the kids played outside until it became too dark and GASP they had to come in and look at my face. My godson does not do squeamish stuff but I did convince him to sit next to me and he also assisted with the drainage procedure and getting me things from the kitchen. See, that wasn't so bad. Just practice for what I'll have him do when I refuse to go to a nursing home and I'm living in the in-law suite over his four car garage. Just sayin'.

On Monday, I reconnected with a friend from college.  She was surprised to hear that I had had surgery and was wondering why no one had told her.  This is funny because her husband reads my blog! D'Oh!  It was a great conversation and I may have promised that I would be at her annual cook out this year.  (If I don't show, I am planning on saying that I was under the influence of Percocet. Wait, I should not have said that here...umm, Love ya C!)

Yesterday, I got a package from a dear friend in Florida. And it. was . AWESOME. See below. The jammies will now become my uniform while I am in my house. Can't wait to start reading the books.  I have the time.
The set up.

THE LOOT!!!

My reading material.

Day planner, notebook and GLEE!!!

Lounge wear.


This is by far one of the best cards I've ever gotten. So spot on.  The inside says that our friendship is golden.  Indeed it is, dear friend!


Then two old and dear friends came over and they brought lunch.  SO delicious.  Except that it took me about 45 minutes longer to eat 1/3 of the food. And I didn't have any salad. And it looked wonderful. After three minutes, my jaw started to ache really bad and I had to stop eating.  It hurts in my temple and all the way down. I guess this is what lock jaw feels like.

I asked these dear friends their thoughts about my recent surgery.
Disclaimer: I am not a rapper but somehow these two think that I might be. But admittedly, I do have some Franken-ear and Franken-neck going on.



I love my family and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment